Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Teenage Girlfriend

Cockpit Conversation reader David Megginson suggested that being a pilot at the low end of the industry looking for a job is like being a fifteen-year-old boy looking for a girlfriend. The analogy is so apt I considered assigning all my mammals new names appropriate for teenage girls, and recoding the entire blog to match. Because it completely describes the situation.

One of the biggest problems a teenage guy has is just picking up the phone, or walking up to the girl in the hall, and talking to her. There's a general terrified paralysis. Generally my problem is getting access to the people I have to talk to, but there must still be dozens of times that I haven't called someone because it was scary, or I didn't know what to say. There are only so many times you can straighten your hair, put on a big smile, and say, "So would you like to go to a movie with me Friday after school?" Sometimes she ignores you, or declines politely, but you always know she's running off around the corner to snicker with her girlfriends.

The prom queen Air Canada has been this unobtainable dream, but lately I heard a rumour. (Jenny told Crystal who told Andy that Air Canada might want to go out with me, but it's really hard to tell. Maybe I should ask Bearskin to ask Air Labrador to find out if Air Canada thinks I'm cute). I want to go out with her, but I can't just walk up and ask her. She's always with her parents, who insist on formality. So I'm trying to get introduced to her. That's a long process.

Then there's WestJet, who is every bit as sexy as Air Canada and more of a free spirit. I've tried to get her attention, too, but I don't think she knows who threw the spitballs. She likes more experienced guys, anyway.

And I do want to get some experience. I mean what if I got a date with someone I really liked and she wanted me to do stuff I've never done? Better to make those mistakes with someone else, right?

I'm learning that some of the girls I've lusted after for years are pretty easy. I just need to be there at the right time and I'd be going home with them. But what if I missed the opportunity to ask a classy girl out, because I was spending time with an easy one? The places they live aren't exactly on the bus routes. And some of those sluts could be seriously hazardous to my health.

It's hard to stay focused on just a few when there are so many around. You've just got your priorites straightened out when another one walks by. She's got nice clothes, a pair of really big engines, smells so good, and everything else is forgotten as you chase after her. And that energy might be better spent grooming myself for the one I really want. Ooh, but this one is shiny!

It's all so complicated and confusing. Sometimes I'm tempted to spend the rest of my life where I am, with my sister. She is, after all, nice to me, fun to be around, and is pretty much guaranteed not to dump me. It's just, you know, weird to grow old with your sister. And you don't get any.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

... and I thought my teenage horrors were over, but as you've pointed out, I've got a career full of em all over again.. Pure genius by the way, best analogy I've seen.. it's a real shame that WestJet and Air Canada are part of the "popular" crowd while we all look from the otherside of the cafeteria (or at least I do)

Greybeard said...

The analogy is a great one.....
but remember that many teenage boys miss out on great dates with pretty girls that really want to go out with them, simply because they are too shy to ask!

Better to pretend to be bold, walk right up and ask, even though you are shaking in your boots.
(And after a couple experiences like this, the shaking goes away.)

And, "ask you to do something you don't know how to do?"
If you haven't lied on your resume, they know your experience level. Do you really think that'll be a problem?

Keep at it gal. You'll get there.

Aviatrix said...

I'll never lie on a resume, but if I'm going to be groping and fumbling in the dark, I'd like to get some of that out of the way before I'm really trying to impress someone.

Greybeard said...

Groping and fumbling? ;>)
Ahh, the memories you spark!

Anonymous said...

With role playing like that, you should be on the stage!

James said...

That is a great analogy. It took me a little while to figure it out, but girls are people too. If you have them on this unattainable pedestal they'll be exactly that: unattainable for as soon as you try and talk to them, you won't be yourself.

I'm not saying don't try to get it on with the classy prom Queen or the free-spirited sexy Western girl or even the prom Queen's jazzy kid sister, but keep in mind that they really aren't that special.

Enjoy who you are with now, keep your contact up with the other and don't be afraid to talk to them. But be choosy, you're a catch too.

From what I can tell of your blog you've got your head in the right spot and it's only a matter of time before you get some action :p

Anonymous said...

Really liked the post, but I'm now sitting here with goosebumps & raised hackles while distant cringe_factor_10K memories go flash.....flash...flash...hi, remember meeee!......flash.......
Oh God, I so wish I didn't......

Glenna said...

Great discussion. I am building my own airplane to help build time in, not that I need any -- but it's an RV-8A! Something about 200 mph on 160 horsepower intrigues me. You can see our business at www.planetools.com and you'll understand why we chose the RV. Glenna

sydost said...

Oh boy what true gems are found here while trying to read all your messages (yeah you guessed it right... internet stalker)

The message reminds me of my unsuccesful girlfriend seeking as a teenager. I thought I'd make impression on them as being a pilot... sheesh what was I thinking back then. Now I know better.

It is good to know I can have another go and even try to succeed with that "I am a pilot" thing if I ever happen to start pursuing that profession.