Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Aircraft Operating Manual

I laugh at how vague this is. It's the Transport Canada standard for the Aircraft Operating manual I'm required to have on board. But if you go by the regulation, it seems more important that it contain page numbering than data.

624.27 Aircraft Operating Manual

An aircraft operating manual shall consist of the following:

(a) a table of contents;

(b) a list of effective pages;

(c) amending procedures;

(d) a preamble;

(e) the identification of the aeroplane by the type and registration, that the manual applies to; and

(f) the aeroplane's operating procedures and limitations.

My current one also contains a quantity of mildew, and a really charming atomic age users guide to the oxygen system, which I keep meaning to bring back to the hotel to blog about.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Charming they require a preamble and (f) aeroplane's operating procedures and limitations.

It leaves it all up to the manufacturer what procedures and limitations... The FAA is similarly vague for old aircraft like I fly ( certificated before 1979, or really antique before 1965. )

For new approvals, the manual contents are really quite detailed

I bought the "approved flight manual" for the Piper J3 back when I was considering buying into one. It is surprisingly detailed in a "how to fly" way, but the actual operating limitations and procedures are of course short & simple. A sample page from the "how to fly" section.

jinksto said...

Yes, yes, but what did you have for dinner?!

:)

Aviatrix said...

Cornbread! I could eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Did I ever tell you how GOOD cornbread is? It's not even deep fried, to the best of my knowledge. How do you make it? There are a million recipes on the Internet, but which ones are that good?

Garrett said...

Oh man. Cornbread is awesome. I can't help myself when that stuff is around, it's like crack-bread. I love it when someone brings it into work or whatever...buys huge goodwill from me.

jinksto said...

The best cornbread is the simplest. :)

1 cup self rising flour,
1 cup cornmeal,
2 eggs,
1 cup of milk

Grease a cast iron skillet with a light coating of butter.

Mix everything together and bake at 400F until gold brown.

That's about as simple as it gets.

You can, of course, use baking soda and a bit of salt with plain flour if you prefer.

From there you can adjust things to your liking.

If you like it sweet you can add up to 1/2 cup of sugar. I don't like it sweet so don't include it. :) Try adding a few tablespoons first and see how you like it.

Other tricks are to preheat the skillet a bit before adding the butter or add a few tablespoons of oil. Use "sour" or butter milk and only use one egg. It can get a bit personal in the end but it's such a simple recipe that it's fun to play with it occasionally.

Rhonda said...

mmmmmm, I'm going to have to try that cornbread recipe tomorrow.