Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Even though I was going to just let this silently post while I partied, I have to break radio silence to thank you all for so many wonderful comments sending me off on my blogcation. It is a great Christmas gift for me to hear about how so many different people from all around the world are enjoying the blog, and I'll definitely return to blog more before these warm glowy feelings have worn off.

For now, it's review and renew time for the New Year's Resolutions. Here's what I said at the beginning of the year.

In the year 2008 I was supposed to:

  • Do a hundred consecutive push-ups in good form.
  • Skip a thousand times without missing the rope.
  • Do my job with enthusiasm, skill and care.
  • Reconnect with twelve people I have lost touch with.
  • Stay happy, healthy and whole.

I didn't work diligently towards my New Year's Resolutions this past year, but I seem to have done pretty well anyway. I did manage to skip 1000 turns of the rope just now, but not without lots of misses, one every 50 to 100 turns of the rope, I'd say. I'm in my bare feet and the rope kept getting caught between my toes. My recovery from breaking my back in 2005 turns out to be like losing weight: something that not only has to be done once, but that one has to continue to maintain. I'm not sure what has shifted, but push-ups hurt my back these days, so I have to take a break every ten, but I got up to eighty. I am staying fit and healthy. Sometimes it's just because I'm having fun doing something that happens to be active. Sometimes it's serious thinking about the long-term health of my cardiopulmonary system and muscles and bones. And sometimes it's just because I caught Terminator 2 or Aliens on TV and who doesn't want a hot, hot action heroine bod?

I can't claim to have maintained unflagging enthusiasm for my job throughout the year, and I have made a few moves that betray less than perfect skill or care, but I do hang on to the knowledge of how lucky I am to fly for a living. It's a constant responsibility to keep my knowledge and planning ahead of the airplane and any emergency that might arise.

Here are my resolutions for 2009. Initially there were just two here, lightweights, but that was before I tested my skipping ability. When I sat down to edit this with the skipping rope endorphins racing through my blood, I added the third. I'll probably add a specific physical goal and a career goal after a month or so.

In 2009 I will:

  • 1. Never read the comments on YouTube videos or LOLcat cartoons. No matter how funny or intelligent the images, the comments will be illiterate and inane, and I'll regret the time spent reading them.
  • 2. Eat only the best chocolate I can afford.
  • 3. Whenever I can gain something of merit without risking anything but my pride and my Internet surfing time, I will make my best try to do it.

It's going to be a good year.

A few other aviation bloggers plan to post their New Year's resolutions today. I hope everyone is able to look back with pride at 2008 and wish you all the best fortune in 2009.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 100 pushups thing will be a quick one.

http://hundredpushups.com/

Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for years, suffered with you when your backpack was stolen and your leg swelled up. Prayed for you that you would somehow be able to get back into flying after having to take the blood thinner, but I don't remember hearing about you breaking your back in 2005...unless my memory is failing me and you are referring to being run into from behind in your car. Anyway, I have even more admiration for you to be able to do push-ups and jump rope.

Thanks for sharing your life with all of us. You have inspired me many times to persevere in the bad times.

Stay well,

A faithful reader.

Aviatrix said...

Yep, Anon, you remember correctly: the 2005 car accident fractured one of my vertebrae. I too usually think about it as something that is done and gone, but every once in a while there is a little bit of pain. I think I will try the 100 pushups challenge again, though. Strengthening the muscles that support my back will be a benefit forever.

It's cool to know that people have been reading all this for so long.

Anonymous said...

"It's a constant responsibility to keep my knowledge and planning ahead of the airplane and any emergency that might arise."

Hey, for thirty years that was a way of life for me. Staying up on all the new company standards, new FAA rules, and changes to approach charts is what aviation is about. How to stay legal. I spent many hours lying on my living room floor studying for things like upcoming simulator checks. It was all worth it though, better than digging ditches for a living, I always said. Ike.

Tony Smith said...

Great last(?) post of the year.

Very interesting both from an aviation point of of view and also an unbiased view of the Canadian way of life.

Many Thanks and a Happy New Year to you

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

When you are down south of the border check out Trader Joes for their chocolate and also Whole Foods. You won't be disappointed.
Santa brought me some Peppermint Rocha. Can we say oh yum?????
Happy New Year and we'll see you in 2009 fit and happy.

amulbunny
*whose lower 4 lumbar verts are compressed and degenerative and still fighting the shoulder people. But I keep on keeping on, better living through chemistry.*****

Anonymous said...

Just to wish you a Happy and Safe New Year.
And many more years of this wonderful blog. Thank you again for your dedication.
Bill ( Tasmania)

Anonymous said...

I found your site about 6 months ago and it is a daily read for me. I look forward to its re-start in the new year.

Greg R.

Anonymous said...

All the best and please please maintain this incredible style.

a reader

jinksto said...

How long does Aviatrix get for blogcation?

Hope all is well and you're have a grand time away... no need to hurry back, we'll just patiently reload the page every 30 minutes until you return.

Anonymous said...

Be SnARGE-free! Another resolution.