Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Security Loophole

A month or so ago, I blogged about an odd e-mail from WestJet. What I didn't mention at the time was that in addition to the risk of being discarded as spam, the e-mail invited me, and anyone who can read a URL, to step through a huge security hole into other people's data. I didn't put it on my blog, for obvious reasons, but thanks to Douglas I managed to forward this information to the WestJet IT department, and they've decided to look into it, "because we want people from all backgrounds to have the opportunity to work at WestJet, and wouldn't want some to be disadvantaged."

Ichneumon isn't WestJet, but it's only one step away. When I started this blog, I mentioned that had no illusions that WestJet would call me up to fly for them on account of my witty insights and keen attitude. That's why today it was the WestJet IT department on the phone, not the chief pilot. Just a little surreal. WestJet and I suit each other so well. There won't be that many candidates who can answer the standard, "what could you contribute to WestJet?" question with "I've already contributed by ..."

Blogging isn't magic, but it concentrates a person's energies on what she wants. Concentrate in a positive way on what you dream, and do something about it every day, and seemingly magical things happen.

3 comments:

Aviatrix said...

I seem to be hooked badly enough on this blogging thing that limited internet access can't keep me away. It helps that I blog more often than I would expect anyone to read a blog, so I have a backlog of posts, and need only sneak online, select one, and hit the publish button.

But then I have to read everyone else's blogs ...

Peter said...

Just had a look at WestJet's site. I see that they don't have passengers or even customers, they have guests. I had to laugh.

Anonymous said...

That last line is a good thought.