Friday, August 11, 2023

Snagging the Carpet

Step Two of the nine steps of being able to defer something is ensuring it can actually be deferred. If it's a stain on the carpet, it can be deferred.  But remember than in order to defer something, it first needs to be reported as a defect. In Canada, that is referred to as "snagging." Like "I snagged the landing light." And the result is a snag. "Talk to maintenance about the wording before you put the snag in the journey log." 
Americans call them squawks. And they don't have a journey log, so they write them on a squawk sheet. Americans can tell me whether the squawk sheet is a legal document or not. Those last two sentences were an aside so you could understand me when I said I have never in my life seen a pilot snag a stain on a carpet. Airplane carpets just get dirtier and dirtier until someone tears them out and replaces them. I've done that.

And it's bed time so I'll get to step two later.


1 comment:

mark.medic said...

We're on a roll here - another post - and the "promise" of a follow-on.