Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Rejecting an Inadequate Aerodrome

E-mail forwarded from the client by the boss indicates that a hotel room is booked for me in an Alberta town. I'm to fly there.

I look it up and e-mail the boss back.

"I got your message about the hotel rooms but I refuse to operate into the local aerodrome on account of it being a heliport."

I know the client has done more research than that about our needs. I find a strip at the next town over that can accommodate jets so I indicate that I will be landing there, almost certain that this is what they intended anyway. My boss appreciates the humour though. He acknowledges my e-mail with a one-word reply.

"Chicken."


Plus, here's a bonus helicopter link on the topic of a guy giving his kid a ride to school in a helicopter and the school officials freaking out.

2 comments:

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

What no STOL ability on your airplane?

Anonymous said...

A long time ago I used to be a controller at an Army Aerodrome in Germany. Our runway was MAYBE 900 feet long. Helicopters were our "Bread and Butter", so you can imaging our surprise when the U.S. Air force would visit us for some "approaches". It was fun to watch not only the planes but the buildings would empty for the impromptu air show. Just think of the friends you would have made by doing exactly what the customer asked for.

LT