Monday, August 11, 2008

Instructor Renewal

Now that it's determined that I will not be plunged into a B727 training course in the immediate future, and since it's becoming more probable that I will live out my days as a contract pilot, I think it would be a good idea for me to renew my instructor rating. That will give me more areas in which I can contract, and some more stress.

My instructor rating has expired, but recently enough that it can be renewed without much trouble. The trouble required is specifically a one-on-one examination with a Transport Canada inspector, both on the ground to assess my level of knowledge and classroom instruction skills and in the air to make sure I can both fly and teach the maneuvers to the required standard. The former should be easy, but the latter means going back into a type of airplane I haven't touched in a while. It will need some practice.

I know for sure I'll be going home for the first of the month, because my medical expires then: the first is the last day I can fly. In three days can I

  • renew my medical
  • check out in a rental airplane
  • practise the maneuvers to flight test standards, and
  • do the flight test?

I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. I book the medical and flight test by telephone, and the rental checkout and practice sessions over the internet. It's not a very smart schedule. I'll probably have to cancel it all. But there's no time like the present.

6 comments:

brian.crissie said...

hey there! I'm a little confused - if you didn't get the 727 offer, why aren't you elegible or interested in pursuing a job still with a jet airline? thanks! cheers

Anonymous said...

Hey, it might be a crazy schedule, but if anyone can do it all in three days, Aviatrix can!

Anonymous said...

Having just renewed my medical it really seems hit and miss depending on which city you use. Originally in Ottawa required a 2 month notice to get the appt and a further wait of 5-10 days once done. I did my renewal last week in Montreal with 2 days notice and instant stamp of approval. I guess it pays to shop around! the doc in Ottawa was fine just too busy. The one in Mtl equally qualified but much more flexible on his time. YMMV

Aviatrix said...

Brian Just about everyone I'm qualified for has turned me down, so I've opted not to hold my breath for the jet job.

Viennatech If your medical is current, as mine obviously is now, or lapsed by only a day, as it will be by the time I show up at the doc's office, there is no waiting for approval. The doc stamps and signs the paperwork and you go back to work. He mails stuff to Transport Canada and a month or so later the pilot gets a bill in the mail for Transport's part in the transaction: updating your file. I've never heard of a two week delay in approving a current pilot's medical. That's crazy. How could she work?

As there's some time compression on the blog it may not be clear that I made the medical and flight test appointments a couple of weeks in advance of when I needed them.

Anonymous said...

After having read your blog for a number of years, I can't help but think that you'd find an airline job completely soul destroying. Now obviously I don't know you and don't know how much of a writing persona you use here, but that's just the impression I get from your approach to life as reflected in your posts.

Maybe staying out of the airline field is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that all these moves would be for the best as you might enjoy your path probably more than you would if you got the job