Sunday, March 20, 2005

Intertwingledness

Not only does everyone in aviation know everyone else, but everything affects everyone else. It's not simply empathy that makes me regret airline troubles. Troubles at Skyward and Jetsgo not only eliminate those companies as potential employers, but increase competition for other jobs.

Skyward hasn't flown in weeks. Some of those pilots are hanging on in Thompson, but others have left town to look for other work. Badger Air hired a number of pilots who had been idled by Skyward's continued OC suspension. Ex-Jetsgo folk are unlikely to be looking at Badger, but they will be competing against people who have jobs I want for the next level jobs. It's an elaborate game of musical chairs, except there's hardly ever any music. Just every so often your chair collapses and you have to scramble for a new one.

3 comments:

Lost Av8r said...

Hmm, I'll bet I know where Badger Air is ;)

Aviatrix said...

If this country is so small that there's only one other company big enough to absorb layoffs from a company the size of Skyward then, then, then ... I don't know what I'd do, because otherwise I'd be doing it.

Pathetic industry.

Lost Av8r said...

Yep, it's the industry you hate but the job you love....